Tuesday, November 25, 2008

THANKSGIVING DINNER MUSIC

I'm celebrating Thanksgiving at my boyfriend's this year and was asked to play DJ for this dinner event which will consist of a 10-course meal prepared by him and his two buddies. The three of them are 20 year restaurant veterans.

I'm very excited.

My other job is preparing an Amaretto Charlotte or Charlotte Amaretto or something along those lines that I've never had in my life, i don't think. I will probably fuck this up so I'd like to make sure that I can at least deliver on the dinner music.

So I've been asked to make two mixes: One for the pre-dinner and the other for the actual dinner. I'm thinking string renditions of Radiohead songs and some jazz (my bf likes jazz a lot and so he's made his suggestions). I'm thinking my favorite mellow songs of my favorite albums, and hoping that those aren't totally slit-your-wrist depressing.

My friend Xiomara sent me this nice mashup which pissed off the newly resurrected KarenPlusOne. She said that mashups should be for mosh pits (or mash pits?) and not elevators. I disagree. I am quite happy to have this to play on Thursday night:

Lionel Richie's "Easy Like Sunday Morning" x The Cure's "Lovesong"

Enjoy.

Lastly, when Brandon left me I went kinda super utterly sad for a few weeks or a month and then went to see a "spiritual adviser" or "psychic" ... anyone interested in hearing about it? Should i blog about it or is that kinda too personal?

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

2 suggestions:

1. You want to keep the mix thankful, and there are very few thankful, positive Radiohead songs. In Rainbows has a couple, but I'm guessing there are no string arrangements yet.

2. Blog about the spiritual advisor, but limit your writing to what you learned about yourself. In other words, don't discuss the ex (though I love reading gossip about people I don't know).

Baybay Mama said...

spill the beans...i vote just say all of it. I never read this blog when you were going through the break up so just shoot from the hip.

Anonymous said...

Play nothing but Frank Zappa at dinner. Or 70s Miles Davis :)

Also, I'm surprised about the psychic/spiritual advisor shit. I think those people are hacks and need to get real jobs.

Ho ho ho.

Anonymous said...

The Thanksgiving Song, by Adam Sandler.


(kidding. don't play that.)

Anonymous said...

spilling the beans is the easy way to go...so take the high road instead, and show your earned stripes Sarah


rock on amaretto cookie

Ultragrrrl said...

well, it's got nothing to do with brandon -- more about my personal state of mind when it happened and the steps that i took to cope.

Anonymous said...

I'd love to hear all about it. I also went through a break up and it was just so hard for me. Until this point, it kills me deep inside to even think about it. It was a mutual break up. But maybe i was not ready to let go after all.

Unknown said...

Sarah:
It might be too late for suggestions for you dinnner mix, but if you were thinking of string arrangements of Radiohead, have you heard Christopher O'Riley? He does an album of Radiohead with just piano and its amazing. I played it at my wedding and it set a good mood.

Anonymous said...

please blog about the steps you took to cope with your breakup... but only if it has a happy ending. =) i am going through my own difficult time right now, and any words of advice, encouragement, other people's stories of how they've dealt, are actually really helpful. wishing you the best.

Mauricio said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

please blog about your break up stuff. Going through it right now. Anything will help...

Anonymous said...

Hey Sarah,

What I love about your blog and why I've been reading it for years now is your honesty. I am very interested in reading about this psychic/spiritual advisor and write what you want...it's your blog and write what makes you feel comfortable.

You're a classy gal and you always seem to be the "bigger and better person" in a lot of situations in your life so we all know you're not going to write anything negative about your ex. Just write what you're comfortable with publishing it online. Simple as that!

Love ya girl,

Your fav. Puerto Rican

Anonymous said...

The Cure song in the mashup is actually "Just like heaven".

Anonymous said...

I want to hear about your psychic... were you skeptical going in? Did she say anything that made you a beleiver? I'm talking to one now and she's great. I wish I had that gift. This is your blog Sarah..it's made you famous for being outright and honest. Blog about it and if u feel umcomfortable about certain parts leave it out.

snazzzybird said...

(Don't know how I missed this...) Please do blog about the psychic. I went to a psychic many, many years ago, when my little family was struggling financially and -- well, and just struggling, y'know? I was married to my ex, and Adi was a toddler. She told me some things that turned out to be astonishingly accurate... and other things that missed the mark. Hmmmm... now I'm thinking I should blog about it.