Friday, May 27, 2005

FUCK YEAH!

Brandon from Nightmare of You came over to talk about the single I'm putting out of theirs in July and he played me a new song he wrote and I told him I would burn all his Smiths CDs if he didn't record it for the single. It's like 2 minutes long, but totally genius. I begged him to record it on a shitty tape deck or into my voice mail, to save on costs, and also, it'll give it a more sincere feel, like when he sat in my room on my guitar singing it to me and my roommate. It was something along the lines of the Libertines meets the Smiths in terms of narrative and vocal tone.

You'll get to see Nightmare of You and other bands I'm putting out on a Stolen Transmission (singles label) at a showcase at rothko on JULY 13. Performing (SO FAR, unless the other bands can make it to NYC) will be: THE SPINTO BAND, THE FIVE O'CLOCK HEROES, and NIGHTMARE OF YOU. Fuck. Wow.

I've been so wrapped up in my book for months and months that I haven't really been able to listen to new bands like I normally do. There are bands coming in and out and I'm missing them until Karen comes over because I refuse to leave my house (unless I'm DJing), and plays it for me on my little makeshift stereo. Patrick Wolf and Death From Above 1979 being prime examples of bands Karen hurled into my life. But I found the Spinto Band first, so i get extra points for that. Anyone who doesn't like the Spinto Band needs to get their soul checked.

Anyway, I'm almost done with this book. More edits. More edits. More edits. I've been getting so wrapped up in it that I have nearly ceased all contact with people. I stopped updating this blog so much. As I said before, I dont leave my house... I am really looking forward to the end of edits. I'm looking forward to going to shows that people invite me to. I'm looking forward to not waking up at 9am to work on my book and then going to bed at 4 or 5am totally exhausted from listening to song after song after song. It's all hard work, but it'll be so worth it. I'm really fucking proud of this book and to be perfectly honest, it's probably not for music aficionados, but for people starting to get into music and looking for where to start with everything. Like someone who is still in high school, or even for people who just want a really comprehensive music library of the essentials. Or even for someone who wants to know about how to start their own DJ night and shit. I'm not trying to sell the book, even thought that's what it's sounding like, i'm just pretty fucking proud of something I produced, which is rare for me.

Karen wrote about the shit we've been up to for the past week with DJing and possible feuds brewing, so go read her site for that stuff.

One thing I'll say is that we're both genuinely shocked by how fun our STOLEN TRANSMISSION party has been. There's no pretention (only slight annoyance from yours truly when people request songs ... it's like a pet peeve for all DJs, not just me, i swear), there's lots of dancing, lots of high spirits and happiness. I mean, how many parties have DJ who keep a bottle of booze at the DJ booth for anyone to take swigs of? We just want people to have a good time and make out and be happy. Fuck! Last week my friend Joe and his girlfriend got engaged not long after my party and while the Tarts of Pleasure cant take responsibility for this wonderful event, we have been asked to DJ their reception. CAN'T. FUCKING. WAIT.

Anyway, the fun continues, but with FREE SPARKS this time and an after party will be in effect for the Single Frame show at Pianos.

1 comment:

Harry said...

Really helpful data, lots of thanks for the post.
get it | get it | get it