Wednesday, January 19, 2005

YOU SAID SOMETHING STUPID LIKE...

OK, so it's like return of the bands I was obsessed with in 2000... Idlewild. I remember telling my mom once, when she was much more strict about me missing out of friday night dinners that there were five bands i had to be let out for if they had a show: Radiohead, Muse, Placebo, Idlewild, and i forget the fifth, but I'm sure they were great. Idlewild though ... Idlewild were just totally mindblowing to me. The lyrics, the songs... punk rock REM and Smiths -- or something along those lines -- I'm down with that.

So anyway, Roddy has been living with one of my partners in crime extraordinaire and going out with us fairly regularly when he's in town. I began to forget that he was the guy from the band that I used to listen to with the lights out while crying over a broken heart. I never figured that he knew what I was feeling with his lyrics, or that I knew what he was feeling, but what I did know is that something about his words were so relatable.

When my friend just IMed me to say "By the way, that new Idlewild video is online." i quickly went to check out my buddy's latest vid. To be honest with you, I wasn't as into their last album as I would've liked to have been ... mostly cause i thought that 100 Broken Windows was genius and hard to top... anyway, I had listened to the new songs a couple of times, but it wasn't until i saw this new video that I got that feeling again. That feeling like "You know how i'm feeling! You understand!" Typing this post i'm starting to feel overwhelmed by emotion. The video evoked a feeling in me... Watching Roddy sing and be Roddy in a way that I'm not used to, I'm able to replace my image of him with the once unatainable poet I first knew him to be.

Go to Idlewild.co.uk and check out the front page. You can see "Love Steals Us From Lonliness" for yourself.

God Bless Idlewild.

No comments: